Oakville Santa Claus Parade Supports Attentive Driving Habits
Ministry of Transportation and
CAA support evidence that distracting driving is on the rise. The
Oakville Santa Claus Parade kindly requests that if you are driving a motorized
vehicle in the parade, that you turn off your device for the duration of the
parade. With walkers, vehicles, animals, and parade viewers, sharing the
Lakeshore/Kerr parade route, it is critical drivers remain focused at
all times. Thank you.
2014 Parade Registration Deadline Oct. 29
Parade registration is now open. Complete the
registration form and submit as soon as you can. This year's entry
deadline is Wednesday, October 29, 2014 or the first 50 entries received,
whichever comes first.
Parade Registration Line Up as of Oct. 21
1st Trafalgar Scouts
4th Trafalgar Scouts
Oakville Knights of Columbus
Oakville Milton Humane Society
Blu-Pencil Mobile Shredding
Oakville Parent Child Centre
Oakville Soccer Club
Burloak Theatre Group
Qi Tranquility Spa
Courage Polar Bear Dip
T. A. Blakelock
The Brown & Keyes Team
The Chartwell House
IUOE Local 793
The Dog Rescuers
Little Kickers Oakville
The Gingerman Social Eatery
Live to Dance Academy
The Oakville Academy of the Arts
Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
Walton United Church
Oakville Hornets Girls Hockey Assoc.
White Oaks Secondary School
Parade Entry Fees
- $150 - Commercial (business and
- $ 50 - Community Group/School Fee
(not-for-profit organizations, charities and publicly funded education
If you did
not organize an entry in 2013 (even if your group has had an entry in the past),
you MUST arrange for a representative to attend the Pre-Parade Meeting
Wednesday November 5, 2014, registration at 6:30 pm, meeting from 7:00-8:30 pm in the Atrium at Town Hall. Failure to attend this meeting will result in your entry
being disqualified. No exceptions.
organized your group’s entry in 2013, your attendance at the
Wednesday November 5, 2014, registration at 6:30 pm, meeting from 7:00-8:30 pm in the Atrium at Town Hall is not mandatory, however, we recommend that you arrange for a
representative to attend the meeting to get any new information and pick up the
parade package being distributed that evening.
*** Participant Regulations ***
- All participants (floats, walkers, etc.) must incorporate the parade theme in
their music, float design and/or costumes.
- Entries must be entertaining to a family audience, primarily made up of children
- No Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus replica may be part of any entry other than the
Official Santa Claus Parade Float.
- Participants in the parade shall not be consuming or giving the impression of
consuming alcoholic beverages, and shall refrain from smoking during their
participation in the parade.
- All participants must complete the Media Information Outline included in the
Entry Form for their group/entry.
- An entry may be refused up to the start of the Parade should the entry not meet
Parade guidelines or differ from its approved entry form.
- Walking groups should wear costumes that reflect the parade theme.
- Please ensure that you keep up with your group. Smaller children
should be encouraged to ride on a float instead of walking.
- Walking groups shall not have a van or other vehicle following its
walkers (including animal groups)
- Please note the maximum number of walkers allowed per entry is 30.
- Minimum age for walkers is 10 years.
- All floats must incorporate the parade theme. The float design must be
chosen and submitted to: Parade Committee c/o the Department of Recreation
and Culture, no later than October 30, 2014.
- Automobiles are not acceptable as a float entry. Antique
automobiles may be considered at the discretion of the parade committee.
- No entry shall exceed 14 feet in height.
- Signage shall be restricted to a total of 2 signs per float. Each
sign must not exceed 2 x 8 feet and must be attached to vehicle. The
sign should state the name of the group and theme so as to be easily
identified by the media. Any acknowledgements should be in smaller
lettering below the group name.
- Music is strongly encouraged. Please play Christmas music only.
Your pieces should reflect the parade theme.
- Floats with generators or other possible fire hazards must provide
suitable fire extinguishing equipment on the float.
- Handouts and give-a-ways are strongly discouraged. No entry will
distribute literature, pamphlets, leaflets, brochures, flyers or any other
written or printed advertising to spectators. For safety reasons,
candy can be distributed from the street level only, NOT thrown from the
- Participants must ride on the inside of the float. No one is to
sit on the edge of the float trailers with their feet dangling over the
side. It is strongly recommended that children be securely seated and
supervised on the floats.
- There will be no premature exiting of the parade route.
stations will be situated along the parade route. The first will be
located on Lakeshore Blvd. in the downtown square (by the clock) and the other
will be on Kerr Street by Heritage Square. Entries will be judged
according to the criteria below. Judging is based on four categories.
Each category is rated out of 5 for an overall score of 20.
- Effort: adherence to the rules, theme, organization and
- Theme: adherence to chosen theme, effective presentation of
- Appearance and Originality: Style,
presentation, overall appearance, audience response and originality.
- Participation: from children on
float, from audience, community spirit, enthusiasm from members of the group
Award Winning Categories
- Best Commercial Float
- Best Community
- Best School Float
- Best Walking Group
- People's Choice
Grand Prize Winner - Best Overall Float
prize of $500 will be awarded to the Beset Overall Float. This award will
be determined by the best score overall. The Judges will decide tie
breakers. All decision will be final. Charitable groups will be
allowed to keep the prize money however; non-charitable groups must donate their
prize money to the charity of their choice. The Awards
Presentation will be held at the Operating Engineers Banquet Hall on
Operating Engineers Banquet Hall on Tuesday, December 2, 2014.
the winning entries in each category will be submitted to the Oakville
newspapers and will be posted on the Oakville Santa Claus Parade website
following the Parade.